An article in the Daily Universe today (which can be found here) expressed one girl's disgust of how female players on intramural sports teams receive twice as many points when they score than do the men. She claimed it was degrading and implied an attitude that the female players are inherently inferior to the male players. She thinks that they should all receive the same number of points, so that it's based purely on skill.
I guess I disagree.
Hey, look, I've just discovered I am NOT a feminist.
I think the rule is flattering. I think it demonstrates an even greater respect for the female players. I don't feel that it points out flaws or incompetence; I think it highlights their abilities and rewards them. I think it motivates them to do better, makes it easier for them to have fun even when playing with men who may have played sports much longer than they have, and I think it reflects a great attitude of respect and admiration for women, which should extend far past the sports arena into other areas of life.
Throughout history, women have been quietly moving in the background, doing great things without seeking fame or accolades for their actions. What's wrong with that? Why do we all have to be equal-in terms of the good and the bad? What's wrong with showing extra respect and generosity toward females, recognizing their unique capabilities and potential?
President Spencer W. Kimball stated, “To be a righteous woman is a glorious thing in any age. To be a righteous woman during the winding up scenes on this earth, before the second coming of our Savior, is an especially noble calling. The righteous woman’s strength and influence today can be tenfold what it might be in more tranquil times. She has been placed here to help to enrich, to protect, and to guard the home—which is society’s basic and most noble institution.”
I agree. And I want to do that ever so much more than I want worldly fame, recognition, or even total equality. Sure, I stand up against horrendous treatment of women; certainly I advocate respect and consideration. But complete equality? I don't think so. Let us all fulfill our different roles; and let us support and respect one another's unique and varied abilities.
I love this. I love this so much.
ReplyDeleteYes yes, I agree with you Jen!
ReplyDelete