Sunday, May 23, 2010

The rhythm of my life

Steady 8 count rhythms, music blasting in my ear, my stomach is turning somersaults and my heart is pounding in my chest, my shoes click as I walk confidently across the stage, my face glued into a grin, I refuse to let it betray how nervous I feel. Nervous is the N word when you're a performer. The music swells, 1, 2, 3, 4, and with a kick I've started, pushing my way to the front, nailing toe knocks and spinning on a hop scuff up into a grab off on my right foot. "Back it up!" and we move back, and then it's my turn, and suddenly I'm sailing across the stage, I feel light as a feather, my feet are flying to the beat of the music, the rhythm is a part of me now, nothing can stop me, nothing, nothing at all. I know I've nailed it before I'm even through, and the smile on my face is no longer fake, it's real, a feeling that compares to nothing else.

I'm not surprised later when I run my finger down the page taped to the wall and see first place next to my name. I'm not surprised when they call my name for the All-American team and hang a medal around my neck. I'm not surprised when I open that long-awaited letter, and find that I've finally made the top team in my studio, for another amazing year of clogging.

But then I wake up, and I remember that the feeling was only that; a feeling. I didn't get first place, and I didn't make the All-American team. I opened that long-awaited letter and I was on Sensations again, and someone else was celebrating that night, and I sat on the swingset for hours after the Folkfest was over and cried until I had no tears left to cry. And I had to weigh my options for my life and realize that no matter how happy clogging made me, I wasn't going to ever be at the top, no matter how hard I tried, or how big I smiled. Life is full of one way streets, and I had to turn down one of them and leave clogging behind in favor of something that maybe I have a chance of succeeding in.

But I still wake up with freestyle music in my head. I still pore over my photo albums from Branson. I still remember that one final year, the year that I thought I had finally made it, the year that I thought was the beginning of something amazing, that turned out to be the end. I don't think I'll ever know why I didn't get picked to be on Premiere. I don't think I'll ever know what was wrong with me, why everyone made All American except for me, why I could never seem to quite do well enough. I don't think I'll ever know why I didn't really fit in. But despite the politics and the breaks in my heart, I loved clogging. I still love clogging, and I miss it like crazy. When I danced, I felt like nothing in my life or in the world could ever bring me down.

I stopped clogging when I stopped dancing with RME. I didn't dance at home, not in my room, not at all. I thought maybe if I just cut it out of my life completely, I would stop missing it. That, I think, was a mistake. It's been almost a year, and I still miss it. Maybe I should keep trying, keep dancing. I don't know where I can practice, I don't have a place, but I think this is something I need to work out. Because clogging is part of me, and it's a part of me that I miss. Maybe I won't get to perform, maybe I won't get to compete. But I can still dance, and no one, no one at all, can take that away from me.

1 comment:

  1. Clogging is part of who you are, it was part of your past and if it's something you love, you don't have to let it go all together. Maybe there are better things out there for you than clogging, but that doesn't mean you can't still find a love in dancing. <3 you!

    ReplyDelete