Someone told me this year that they're going to get me "what I want most for Christmas."
I, of course, am trying to figure out what in the world they meant by that. Because it's not actually possible. Sure, someone could get me something I'd really like, something I'd really enjoy, but they couldn't get me any of the things I want most. The things I want most can't be wrapped up under a tree, or even given in a single day. The things I want most are changes in people's lives - worries to be taken away, problems to be solved, sadness to be erased. I want some people to be able to see themselves how I see them and how God sees them. I want others to find purpose and meaning in their lives. I want people who are struggling to make good decisions to be able to do so. I want people who are sick to be healed, people who are hurt to be comforted.
These things are what I want most, not something that can be unwrapped or pulled from a stocking on Christmas morning. I don't want things for me, I want to see things happen for other people, because that's what makes me happiest. The only thing I would choose for myself couldn't be wrapped up, either, nor could it be given to me this Christmas. And I wouldn't want it to be. Perhaps next year. In the meantime, Christmas is two days away. My wishes are out there. Maybe there'll be a miracle or two this Christmas season. And if not, that's okay too. Sometimes the best wishes are the ones that aren't granted.
Viva la Vida
and Merry Christmas.
No comments:
Post a Comment