Today is the first day of a brand new year.
I know, you're confused. "New Year's isn't until January 1st! It's only September 27th!"
But, when you think about it, a new year starts every single day. Each day of our lives we're given the opportunity to start fresh, to set goals, to make resolutions, and to leave the past behind as we face forward with a new hope for the future.
Ryan likes to tell me I'm perfect. And when he does, it makes me smile. I think about how lucky I am to have such an amazing man think so highly of me. However, we've instead adopted the phrase "You're perfect for me" in lieu of calling each other perfect. Because, let's face it, as much as we'd all like to be perfect, none of us are. Only our Savior, Jesus Christ, came to earth and lived a perfect life. The rest of us struggle. We have failings and shortcomings. Sometimes our mistakes are small, and sometimes they're big. But we all have them. Myself included.
One of my favorite songs talks about how "the person who I've been lately isn't who I want to be." I think everyone sings these lyrics to themselves at one point or another in their life. I sometimes look back at a day or a week or even a month and think, "That's not who I am. That's not how I act. I'm better than that." And it can be incredibly disheartening to realize that I've spent so much time living far below my potential as a daughter of God.
I was thinking about that this morning, thinking about all the times I've been unkind, or judged harshly, and all the times I've made excuses for myself when I didn't do everything I knew I should. And I started feeling pretty down about it.
And then I remembered something my mission prep teacher said two years ago. He told us that repentance and forgiveness is literally becoming a new person. Just like starting a new year every day, repentance allows us to start over at the beginning - just as if it had never happened and we had been perfect all along. And once I repent, all of my frustration and shortness is gone, because that was the old me, and this is the new me.
I remember in class thinking that that was kind of weird, and I didn't quite get the concept of forgiving and forgetting - especially forgiving myself. But the more I come to understand about the Atonement, the more I know that it's true. "Behold, he who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more." (Doctrine & Covenants 58:42) If the Lord forgives and forgets my sins and moves on, who am I to refuse to do so as well?
President Holland gave one of my all-time favorite talks at BYU one year - and it's one that still makes me cry every time I read it. As he said:
Forgive, and do that which is harder than to forgive. Forget. And when it comes to mind, forget it again.... Dismiss the destructive and keep dismissing it, until the beauty of the Atonement of Christ has revealed to you your bright future, and the bright future of your family and your friends and your neighbors. God doesn't care nearly as much about where you have been as He does about where you are, and with His help, where you are willing to go. That is the thing Lot's wife didn't get. This is an important matter to consider at the start of a new year ‐‐ and every day ought to be the start of a new year and a new life. Such is the wonder of faith and repentance and the miracles of the Gospel
of Jesus Christ.
So happy new year! I stand forever grateful for my Savior - who suffered so that I could have a clean slate, and when I mess up again, as I almost inevitably will, so that I could have another one. And one day we'll be able to stand with Him and see just how far we've come, all thanks to His infinite love and sacrifice.
Viva la Vida.
No comments:
Post a Comment