Thursday, July 22, 2010

And they call the thing rodeo

So I went to the rodeo last night. It was definitely more fun than I remembered. I think I saw about 1300 cowboy hats while I was there. The best part was the little girl riding the sheep backwards in the mutton busting. And she won! It was pretty crazy.

The whole environment there reminded me that there's a big part of me that really hates city life. Sure, I've grown up in a city/town my whole life, my only experience with animals is cats and a very little bit of horseback riding, I'm not a farmer and not a cowgirl, and I'm okay with that. But there's still a part of me that dreams of having a horse for my best friend, living way out of town on acres of land, spending evenings galloping across the fields or winding down a trail in the hills on horseback, and wearing boots and jeans all days of the week. Sure, it's not all it's cracked up to be, especially in this day and age, but there's something liberating about that lifestyle. It's simpler, and in some ways it seems much closer to God and the spirit than our harried, polluted city lives. The wide open spaces and the animals remind me what this earth might have been like when it was created, and a part of me just longs to live that way.

Maybe someday I'll be able to live on a little bit of land, have some animals, preserve a little bit of that lifestyle for myself and my family. In the meantime, I'm content to dream. And maybe buy a cowboy hat.

1 comment:

  1. I had a bit of the farmer's life experience a few weeks ago. It's fun. Although, I'm not sure I liked the farmer's wife thing... haha definitely a lifestyle you have to get used to. It definitely has some great perks though :D

    ReplyDelete