Come mas! Come mas!
I hear this every. single. meal. It means "Eat more! Eat more!"
Okay, so my host mom is super nice - I really like her, she cooks very well, the food here is excellent, but every meal is about three times the size what I've eaten my entire life, and every meal is meat. meat, meat, meat, meat. I've tried and tried to eat everything she gives me, but I just can't. Every single meal I eat too much - simply because I'm trying not to offend her, and I'm super sick of it. So I've stopped eating more than I want to eat - it's my body, I'm the one who has to suffer through the stomachache the next two hours if I eat too much, not her. However, she's been getting increasingly frustrated with me every time I leave food on my plate.
Today I went out an hour before lunch and told her I wasn't very hungry, and that I didn't want very much food. She gave me less than normal, but still more than I could eat. When it appeared I wasn't going to finish it all, she started getting agitated - and there we were, the American girl trying to explain she has a small stomach, the Spanish woman trying to tell the American girl she's too skinny, anorexic, and needs to eat more. Anorexia is DEFINITELY not a problem... but geez, how do I even explain that convincingly in Spanish?! I ended up stuffing the rest of the meat in my mouth, excusing myself from the table, and spitting it out in the garbage can in the bathroom.
I'm really looking forward to being in charge of my own meals again.
No comments:
Post a Comment