Sunday, October 17, 2010

What I'm going to miss the most...

I might miss Spain when I leave.

It struck me as I walked down the street in Salamanca and paused in the middle of Plaza Mayor. It was night, and a beautiful half-moon hung above the 16th century walls. The buildings shone golden with authentic-style lamplight, and people were everywhere, walking, talking, laughing, eating, spending time with friends, just living.

Up above me the first star came out. Yes, I did wish on it.

And I realized this was what I was going to miss most - not the Spanish, not the food, not the cathedrals, not any of the stuff we see on our trips - I was going to miss the friendly atmosphere in the streets. Being out in a city at night has always scared me - but there's a sense of community here, a shared feeling of friendship, to some extent. I love the "street culture;" eat on the street, get together on the street, walk on the street, etc. At home everyone has their cars, their houses, their yards, their cubicles, their fences. We put up walls and push our neighbors out. Here you can hear your neighbor two floors up singing to the radio. You know the neighbor across the street because you walk to the train station together every morning. The owner of the bar on the corner is your best friend - he sells you hot coffee and churros every morning on your coffee break.

Maybe it's just me and I'm overly optimistic about Spain, Alcala, all of it. But even if I am, it's still true at least to some extent - and I think that's what I'm going to miss the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment