Friday, October 21, 2011

Heart mapping

Today in class, we had a third grade teacher come and give us a mock lesson.

We did an activity called heart mapping.

Basically it involved drawing a heart with a circle inside, and then a smaller circle inside the circle.

In the innermost circle, we put the things that mean the very most to us, like family, friends, testimony... etc.

In the outer circle, we put things we really love. Then, between the heart and the first circle, we put things we like.
Then we picked something and wrote about it. It was amazing to see how much more the writing activity meant when it was something I cared about.

But more than that, I pondered on the activity. Heart mapping. How does one map their heart? What paths do I go along, what things do I climb over to get to the things I love the most? What defenses do I have to get through to get to my most precious things, or is my heart open to anyone? Does my heart have a big "Welcome" mat on the porch, or is it locked up tight with me inside, hoping everyone will think I'm not home?

And more than that... what's in my inner circle? I can make a list. But do the people and things I say are in my inner circle actually receive enough attention and emphasis that they know they're in my inner circle?

Just something to think about.
Viva la Vida.

No comments:

Post a Comment