Okay, so maybe it wasn't that bad. But seriously, we spent all day in a small town where there really isn't an incredible amount to see - that we knew of. After Cuenca, I resolved to research the places we're going before we go, so that I know what's there and what things I want to find if we have free time.
We first stopped in Ucles, at a monastery that was originally a sort of fortress, but during the Reconquista of Spain (where the Christians swept through the country and kicked everyone else out) it was converted to a monastery. It's been declared a National Monument of Spain.
We then continued to Cuenca. Cuenca is built on a hill. All the good stuff is at the top, and of course, the buses have to stay at the bottom....
Our group in front of the cathedral in Cuenca.The cathedral in Cuenca was the first Gothic style cathedral built in Spain - in the 1100s, though it has undergone some changes since that time.
Another thing Cuenca is famous for is the "Casas Colgadas" (hanging houses). These are houses built literally hanging over the edge of a cliff - typical in medieval times, but only a couple remain. They currently house the Museum of Abstract Art, which we also visited.
Las Casas Colgadas. Cool, huh?
Unfortunately, you had to go out on THIS bridge to get the full view.
I'm not even kidding, the bridge got narrower the farther out you went on it... at least, that's how it felt to me! And it shook when you walked on it... This picture was taken out about 10 feet. That's as far as I got. :) Melanie took my camera out and took pictures for me. I stayed on solid ground where I belonged!
Museum of Abstract Art. Can I just say, I hate art museums? Especially modern ones? Seriously, what IS this?!
Okay. This does NOT even count as art. I thought it was a blank display. No. That IS the art. Completely ridiculous.
All in all, Cuenca was cool, but, as Melanie put it, kind of a letdown after our other trips. However, it was kind of nice to just chill in a beautiful little city in the fall sunshine and enjoy being Spanish for a few hours.
Another thing Cuenca is famous for is the "Casas Colgadas" (hanging houses). These are houses built literally hanging over the edge of a cliff - typical in medieval times, but only a couple remain. They currently house the Museum of Abstract Art, which we also visited.
All in all, Cuenca was cool, but, as Melanie put it, kind of a letdown after our other trips. However, it was kind of nice to just chill in a beautiful little city in the fall sunshine and enjoy being Spanish for a few hours.

Looks pretty cool to me! Not going to lie! :)
ReplyDelete