Monday, July 18, 2011

'Tis the Season

Today I am thinking about strings of colored lights, and the smell of a fresh pine tree in the window. I'm thinking about snowflakes and standing in the street at night watching them fall all around me, until a snowball flies out of the darkness into my face and suddenly there's laughter and shrieking and the world becomes a raging battle of white, wet fluff. I'm thinking about spiced cider simmering on the stove and making the whole house feel like heaven just because of the smell. I'm thinking about hiding things under the bed and in the corner of the closet and under the socks in the bottom drawer and keeping everyone informed of all the places they're not allowed to look for the next five weeks. I'm thinking about long lists of names and having genius ideas of what to give people and working frantically to finish everything in time. I'm thinking about carols by candlelight, reading the story over and over, remembering the real reason that this season is the most wonderful time of the year. I'm thinking sugar cookies and lemon pound cake and nutmeg and popcorn, green saran wrap and orange frosting on carrot cookies. I'm thinking snowboots and scarves and striped gloves. But most of all I'm thinking of sitting on the floor under a beautiful evergreen tree, listening to soft music and thinking about how beautiful life is until I fall asleep.

It's July 18.

Oh boy.


Viva la Vida.

1 comment: