Tuesday, July 12, 2011

But be of good cheer; I have overcome the world

The phrase "Be of good cheer" has occasionally stuck out to me in various contexts, and I've often wondered just what exactly Christ meant when He told us to "be of good cheer." Surely, I've thought, there are times when He can't possibly expect us to be cheerful - the world is filled with trials and problems that touch each of our lives in personal and painful ways. But the more I learn about the gospel, the more I realize that yes, it is possible to be of good cheer, even in the midst of a whirlwind of pain and affliction.

I read an amazing article in the Ensign today that talked about this very subject. I highly recommend it, it can be found online here or on page 57 of the July 2011 Ensign. I think the adversary didn't want me to read it, because I literally started to read it six times before I was finally able to finish the whole thing uninterrupted. And when I finally did, I was really glad. The author pointed out a number of things that really stood out to me.

First, "Obedience to God is not insurance against pain and sadness." It's a false assumption to think that if we're perfect, life will be perfect. To quote a favorite movie, "Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone who says differently is selling something." (Princess Bride).
Challenges, trials, and tests of faith are an inherent part of life, and they are no respecter of persons. Everyone suffers, even those who strive daily to keep all the commandments. Therefore, we can be of good cheer even in the midst of the trial, knowing that pain and suffering doesn't mean God is punishing us, or that we're bad people.

Second, if we believe that we have to be perfect before the Atonement will cover us - we're wrong. It's easy to think that we have to be perfect in all things and then Christ's atonement will kick in and relieve us of the heavy burdens we bear.
I have come to know that our Heavenly Father does not leave anyone to struggle alone, trying to lift the burden of perfection without His help. The only catch is simply that we have to turn to Him. Sometimes that involves acknowledging personal weakness. Sometimes it takes repentance, or humility. No matter what it requires, the promise is that the weight will lift from our shoulders, and we can find joy through Him.

"Cheerfulness in the scriptural context connotes a divinely assured optimism, "a deep trust in God's unfolding purposes," a grounded conviction that God will always keep His promises.... True happiness and satisfaction are found only by turning away from the world and coming to Christ." He has promised His help, His love, and His forgiveness when we come to Him in humility. "In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)
I can think of no better reason to be of good cheer.

Viva la Vida.

1 comment:

  1. :) Reminds me of the devotional yesterday (http://speeches.byu.edu/download.php/Prawitt_Douglas_2011_07_19.mp3). I've never thought of it that way :)

    ReplyDelete