Six years of Spanish paid off when I had the chance to talk to my neighbor today and finally start to get to know her, what she's like, who she is, and, more importantly, let her know that I'm sorry for the misunderstandings of the past between her family and mine, and that I am sorry we didn't get to know one another sooner. We shared a great discussion on the value of friendship and loving one another, in Spanish, while she and her cousin helped my mom and I tear bamboo roots away from the sidewalk and we all partied with brooms and dustpans and smiles. It was the fulfillment of a longtime goal: to make it right, to make up for the way my dad acted toward them, and to right the wrongs of the past and hopefully begin a brighter future.
This is why I love my major - I'm starting to break down communication barriers and eradicating cross-cultural miscommunications - one conversation at a time.
No comments:
Post a Comment