So remember that post from way back whenever that I wrote a whole paragraph about how sad it was that no one ever celebrates my birthday?
Well, tonight they did. I was the shocked recipient of one of the best surprise birthday parties I have ever seen, complete with streamers, balloons, a giant birthday card, two cakes decorated with a guitar and the Spain flag, and more people than I ever thought would come to a party for me. I was completely, totally surprised. I started crying when I came in the door. I've never had a surprise party, ever, and it was perfect. Completely perfect.
For the last couple of weeks I've kind of felt like I failed this school year. I had all these goals to make friends and live it up and be the kind of person I really wanted to be, and I thought I'd failed. I didn't think I really had made friends at all, and I was feeling really down about it. The fact that about 20 different people showed up at a party on a Tuesday night, just for me, completely shocked me. I guess it kind of teaches me a lesson, in a way.
We talk a lot about the "ripple effect" where things you do have bigger consequences than you realize. It's a lot like in It's A Wonderful Life. You don't realize just how many lives you've touched, people you've affected. It can feel like you're nobody at all, when in reality, lots of people know and care about you. I guess that's something I struggle with realizing a lot, and I hope that I can keep remembering how I feel tonight, knowing how many people care about me. Because friends are what makes life worth living!
No comments:
Post a Comment