Today, Sunday, we went to church. First church outside of the USA! Very cool.
We took bus number 8, and arrived 25 minutes early. Maybe there will be another bus next week that arrives a bit later.
The building was beautiful! Very nice.
When everyone else arrived, we had to meet some people. Meeting people in Spain is difficult. You kiss them on their cheeks. Once on each side. It's just the custom. However, I was first in line to meet this cute little older woman, and I for some reason panicked and only kissed one side, and there was a pause while I was flustered before the second one. She said something, I don't know what, and everyone around us just burst out laughing. I have no idea what they said, buuuuut... I was quite embarrassed. I know better... it was okay though, she didn't seem offended.
Church itself was very great, we had RS/Priesthood first, it was combined, I spent fifteen minutes trying to figure out what was going on, I thought it was Sacrament meeting, but there was no sacrament, and no primary kids! Finally I figured it out. As you can tell, I'm still having trouble understanding what's going on occasionally, but I'll get better with the Spanish as I go along.
One of my goals for this program is to gain a greater testimony of the Gospel in a world setting. It was cool to me that in this place that's so different, church was still the same. The Spirit was the same, the Gospel was the same, the people, though speaking a different language, were still bearing the same kinds of testimonies. It was very comforting, and I think it will help me feel less out of place if I remember that no matter where I am, the Spirit is always there with me.
Though you may not remember it, you have been to Church in Canada, in Elkford or Sparwood or Fernie, I don't remember which.
ReplyDeleteImagine being in the post-mortal Spirit World, sharing experiences about "our turn on earth" and in which country we spent our lives and joking about the various cultural customs we had and how important they seemed to be at the time: kiss on one cheek or two, shake hands, give a hug? How will those earthly cultural customs transfer over to the Spirit World, if they do at all? Will some shake God's hand? Will some give Him a hug? Will some kiss His cheek or cheeks, or will we all just kiss His feet? And does it even matter?