Thursday, August 5, 2010

Interviews

So applying for jobs is pretty much my definition of the misery, because I hate all situations where I have to try to make myself look good. But if the whole application process is misery, job interviews are the absolute pits.
It all starts when you spend two hours staring at your closet trying to decide what the best outfit would be that would make you look like you'd fit at their company or office. Then you spend more hours memorizing every detail of the job description, practicing in front of the mirror, writing power statements, reading your resume...
Then you go to the interview and sit there and sweat while they ask you ridiculous questions, and then you leave and you don't get the job anyway because they decide you didn't answer their questions as directly and fluidly and confidently as the next guy, never mind the fact that you're more qualified for the actual job.
I get really stressed in interviews, even though most of the time I have a pretty cool head, so it's unfortunate that people typically base their decision to hire on the interviews. Usually after an interview I a) burst into tears, b) call my mom and burst into tears, c) sit on a bench until I don't feel lightheaded and sick to my stomach anymore, or d) all of the above.
Let's just say I wish that we would chuck interviews out the window and find a less intense way to determine who would be the best candidate for the job. I feel sick just thinking about it.

2 comments:

  1. Are you looking for another job?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha no not at the moment, but they're replacing me at my old job so people have been coming in for interviews and all that jazz. One of the other girls will be leaving winter semester, though, so I probably can come back to my job, but we'll see what happens with that!

    ReplyDelete