In some ways, I think this has been the longest summer of my life.
Not that that's a bad thing, of course! It's been full of fun and amazing and wonderful experiences. It's just been long. That's what happens when you're waiting for things.
I've known for eight months I was going to Spain. Now that it's only two weeks away, I feel like it's been an ETERNITY since I submitted the application. I've hashed it out in my mind so many times I feel like I've already gone.
Then there's the "other" waiting... the unofficial counting of time, the circumlocution of the word "waiting" but in essence that's what it is, because there's really nothing else to do, and during this summer, time has draaaaaaaaagged.
Along with that, there's waiting for the mail, for to get letters week by week, and it seems each week has gotten longer and longer. During the school year there's so much more to occupy my time and mind, but during the summer, the empty mailbox taunts me for days on end. The long weekend weeks when the mail was delayed were the worst.
Then there's work... absolutely dreading the last week (working alone and training new students for 5 days) and waiting and waiting and waiting for it to finally be over.
And now it's all coming to a close, and while I feel I've hardly accomplished a thing all summer and have really enjoyed it and had a lot of amazing experiences with my family and friends, I'm more than ready to move on with my life.
No way! It's that close! AHHHHH I'm so excited for you! We need to hang out at least one more time before you head off!
ReplyDelete