It happened on the last dance, the one from Macedonia (I think) where everyone holds hands and sings from their hearts. And suddenly I looked around at all the people in the big, long line, the strangers on either side of me, the PAC and SPAC and WDS and 10Wilk Pirates and 8Wilk and 2RB and my own teammates from 9Wilk Laloemileelo, and I just wanted to hug all of them. There's a special feeling that comes from dancing for two hours in a hot, sweaty room, where you can't even understand the words to the songs, and your legs hurt, and there's a long line for the drinking fountain, but you dance hard, and you dance from your heart. There's something special about that, something you can't quite put into words. It's like family, even though you don't even know everyone's names or anything about them. For a minute all the team cliques broke, and we were all folk dancers, all celebrating our chance to share feelings in our hearts through dance. It was the most beautiful moment, and it left a warm feeling in my heart that just won't go away.
I'm so blessed to be a member of the International Folk Dance Ensemble. This has been one of the most amazing experiences of my time in college, and I'm so so glad I have four more semesters to enjoy it even more!
Viva la vida... and don't forget to DANCE!
YAY Jen!!! I'm so so happy for you, and that you found your love for dancing in Folk Dance! You are amazing girl!! I am so sorry Matt and I missed your performance the other night :( We both still love you!
ReplyDelete