Friday, April 29, 2011

Regretting.

I saw someone tonight that I haven't talked to in six years.

The last time we did talk, I broke his heart in the middle of the sophomore hall.

It's silly now - heck, I wasn't even sixteen years old yet, and it was just high school drama. But the way that he was never anything but nice to me, and yet I treated him like a worn-out pair of shoes, that has stuck with me for six years. So I saw him tonight at a party. I looked over at him a few times, but, I'm ashamed to say, I was still too embarrassed and self-conscious to say a word. I'm sure by now he really couldn't care less - it was two months in 10th grade, and he probably laughs about it now. But it still haunts me, and I'm terribly embarrassed of how self-centered and inconsiderate I was.

It leaves me thinking "now what?" I don't know how to contact him except maybe through Facebook, and even if I did, it would seem ridiculous to apologize after all this time. But it would make me feel better.

There are only a few things in life that I truly regret. That moment and the way I acted is one of them. To him, I'm sorry for the hurt I caused him, however small or silly it seems now. Live and learn, right?

2 comments:

  1. Once in sixth grade I banned a girl from sitting with a group of friends and during lunch.

    I spent years feeling like a jerk for it.

    My senior year I brought it up with her and found out that while it had ate away at me, she only had a vague recollection of the event...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose being a dork at times is a part of growing up...?

    ReplyDelete